Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Candyland

Evan has had the Candyland game for a couple years now, but today was the first time we actually played a game where he really grasped the concept - where I wasn't moving the pieces for him and he could do it all by himself.

This is the Candyland progression:

The beginning: He would take his game piece and charge across the board, knocking all the other players off.

He would jump to the right color block, but where ever he wanted on the board. So not really following the path.

He would search for the special cards - Ice Cream Princess, Lollipop Girl, etc.

Just a few months ago: He would have a hard time knowing which way he was going. Hey, it's a pretty wonky path. Still liking those special cards. There are a few that have creases in them, so he knows to pick those first. Cheater!

Today: He knew which way he was going on the path and could move his piece to the right color. He still looked for the creased cards. Found Ice Cream Princess and jumped WAY ahead. Next time it backfired when he got Candy Cane (almost the beginning!) So I was in the lead by quite a bit. But then I got the Gingerbread Man and had to go back. Evan told me in the most comforting voice, "Don't worry. That's just part of the game. You'll just have to keep going. But I'm still going to win." Much later in the game, I was just about to win (I just needed to draw a color and I would be at Candyland - guaranteed winner, right?!) And wouldn't you know it, there was just one last card available to draw - it was the Lollipop Girl! So I had to move back and we had to shuffle the cards. Evan won, fare and square. Evan's first independent game of Candyland turned out to be the most exciting one ever! Ha!

No comments: