Friday, December 7, 2007

Double Dipping

Wow, today I am wiped out. We had Evan's last swim class this morning. We had done some classes when Evan was 6 months old at the community pool, but finally registered for Waterbabies when Evan was 22 months. I really enjoy their program and think they do a great job. It's a good mix of water safety and fun/play time. However, Evan didn't like it much. He hated going underwater and would tell me, "No ABC's" (we would sing the ABC's during backfloat time), "No ready, set, hmmm" (the cue to go underwater) and finally, "No swimming!" (when we were getting ready in the morning.) So, when it was time to register for the next session, I decided to pass. I think it's just this age range. Kids just don't want to get their face wet and be forced to do things they don't want to do. I would say his dislike for the class was on a bell curve, peaking in the middle of the session. These last few weeks, there was a major improvement and I'm really proud of the little guy for sticking with it. But alas, today is our last day. We practiced a new move called the "double dip" where Evan went underwater in 2 quick motions. We did it twice and then moved on to other more fun activities!

We rushed home for a quick, early lunch, and then were off to our first day of soccer! We did an outdoor summer soccer session through Arena Sports and Evan did ok. He would be very attentive and follow the Coach's instructions, but get tired of running back and forth, or lose focus and want a snack or want to play with the water cooler. We passed on the next session, but have started up again. Today went very well. We are doing an indoor session and the coach was great. It can be difficult with these young dudes. They are sometimes attentive and other times running off and doing their own thing. I think Evan wanted to impress the Coach so he tried very hard to listen to directions. And I think he has a little more energy now than 5 months ago. He had no trouble running back and forth.

So after our back to back swimming/soccer adventure, I was pooped! Evan still wanted to play around the house, even go outside and play tee ball. But it's too cold and I'm too tired! He went down for a nap and we'll see how he does. He's been waking up early and taking long naps. We'll see if this one is closer to 2 hours or 3 hours. I've already napped myself - for one hour! :)

No comments: