Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Grouchy Piko



A little background on our cats. Piko is a brown tabby boy. Poki is a Halloween black girl. Both are about 8 years old. Poki is well adjusted and is the kind of cat that will jump into any stranger's lap to get a few loving pets. And Piko (AKA: Brownie), well, he's not as well adjusted. He hates strangers (strangers = anyone that is not me, Pops, or Evan... well, I guess he is still undecided about Evan). So he's a high strung, anti-social, neurotic kitty. Don't get me wrong, when it's just the immediate family, Piko is the most loving, affectionate, neurotic kitty around. :)

When he feels threatened, Piko hisses, growls and occasionally bats at my ankle to let me know how unhappy he is. He mostly takes it out on me and sometimes on Pops. Well, last night, he took it out on Evan for the first time, much to our surprise. I did not witness it, but overheard the scoldings he got! Naughty Piko! Evan came up just to tell me that "Piko hit Evan."

This morning everything must be patched up because Piko seemed to be taking more abuse from Evan than normal. Usually, if Evan starts approaching him, he runs in the other direction. Today, he hung around and let Evan do some shenanigans (see previous post). After the shell incident, Piko even started dozing off. Evan said, "Piko sleeping." I told him, "Yes, it's important that Piko gets his sleep. Like you. You guys need to get good rest." Evan replied, "So he's not grouchy... And he doesn't hit Evan." So true.

Piko eventually moved away from Evan and Evan crouched down to his level and said, "Piko, you all done sleeping? You not grouchy anymore?" I get such a kick out of watching Evan talk to the cats. No matter what, he loves his furry friends.

No comments: