Friday, February 20, 2009

Our Seattle 'Avenger'







(Evan pronounces 'adventure' as 'avenger.') Like I mentioned in the previous post, we had quite an adventure on Saturday. Although I used to commute to Seattle every day, pre-Evan, going in to Seattle now with the family in tow is a huge outing! It was so great to be back in my 'old stomping grounds.' I've really missed some of the wonderful places they have there:

Simply the Best dried fruit stand in the Pike Place Market (across from where they throw the fish) - They have the best apple chips. Whenever we go to Fred Meyer (every week), Evan asks for apple chips. But the one they carry in the store is fried and greasy. Kinda grosses me out. So we went to this stand and got a big bag of apple chips - so good! And healthy too!

Mexican grocery store - Next door to the original Starbucks. Ok, this makes me think back to the 30 Rock episode where they weren't sure if it was PC to say 'Puerto Rican'. Is it PC to say 'Mexican'? Or is it Hispanic now? Anyways, the shop next to the original Starbucks has fresh pico de gallo and refried beans, so we picked up tubs of those for our enchilada dinner the following night.

Le Panier, French bakery. Unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to go in here, because they had a line going out the door. But the best pastry around is their chocolatine. Chocolate croissant with almond creme. Oh my!

City Fish - If we're buying seafood, we usually go here. We got two pounds of clams for that night's dinner and as I was placing my order, I overheard the woman in front of me ask for kumomoto oysters. Pops is a big fan of them, so when I heard they had some fresh ones, I asked for a dozen as well. Turns out, these were the freshest, best tasting kumomotos Pops has ever had! (Even better than Seastar in Bellevue!) Too bad they're such a pain to open.

Produce stand - Got all the fixings for that night's dinner for under $5. Wow!

And last but not least, my favorite restaurant, Wild Ginger. Oh, how I've missed you. I don't think I've been there since I left my job for mommyhood. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. So... the review:

Mango daquiri - first alcoholic drink I've had in maybe a year and a half at least. Very tasty, not too much alcohol, though. I wasn't jabbering like usual.

Crab Cake appetizer - Eh. Nothing impressive there. Tasty dipping sauce. Very small portion.

Evan had 2 things off the kids meal. Chicken Satay skewer. Good sized portion. Very tasty.

Chinese noodles with vegetables (kid's meal). Really big portion, lots of veggies, super tasty noodles. Was able to take half home for Ev's lunch the next day.

Cambodian Pork - What I usually order when I eat here - just as good as I remember it. All the different spices on the pork - so yummy. Tasty cabbage salad and nothing beats the brown rice with broth scooped on it.

Five Spice Beef - Pops had this and wasn't too impressed. He said peanut sauce makes anything yummy, but there was a huge mound of mushy flat noodles, that aren't his favorite. Oh well.

Again, can't wait for them to open in Bellevue this fall!

Oh, and can Ev and Pops look any more alike in the picture above?? Geez.

1 comment:

ForresterMom said...

okay. You got me. Now I'm hungry!!