Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Potty Training

Evan is doing quite well with potty training. If he is in his BVDs, he will stay dry all day. I'm very proud of him and his progress. He sometimes puts up a fight if: he thinks the public bathroom is too loud, if I'm forcing him to try (cause I know he has to go!), if others try to take him besides me. But overall, he's doing great!

So far, he has refused to poop on the potty. He usually gets his business done and out of the way after breakfast, so he can be in his BVDs the rest of the day. He tells me if he's going to poop, so I ask if he wants to sit on his potty and he says, "No, poop in diaper." So here are the 'bribes' that I've tried:

* We started with new wipes. They are flushable wipes that come in a cute container. He thought they were sooo cool because they were different from the wipes we always use. But still, no poop in the potty.

* We tried chocolates. I put a tupperware of Hershey Kisses in the bathroom to entice him to go. He didn't even want to try, although he loves chocolates. I think this plan failed because he gets chocolates in other ways - M&Ms in the trail mix, Valentine candy, etc.

* I just started using MONEY! I can't believe it, but it seems to be working so far. I told him - a quarter for sitting and just trying; a dollar for pooping in the potty. He is actually asking to sit on the potty to try. He loves getting the quarter and this weekend he got to use his $0.50 on the crane game at the grocery store. He still hasn't pooped on the potty, but I'm sure one of these days, the timing will be right and it'll happen. So funny, though - Evan asks to see the money up front before he goes to the potty! We're not raising a fool!

No comments: