Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fears/Dreams

Monday night when Evan had the fever, he woke up really upset. Not only was the fever back, but I think he had a very vivid dream. He was completely alert and said, "Momma, there's a tiger! A tiger is in my bed!" He pointed towards his pillow, which has robots in a stripey design, but nothing like a tiger. I reassured him that there was no tiger and that he was ok. We had a horrible rest of night, I think partly from the fever and also from his fear.

After being up for about 2 1/2 hours in the middle of the night and trying to get him to go to sleep in his own bed, I finally caved and did something I've never done before. I brought him to our bed. What an experience. Pops almost rolled onto him, cause he didn't know Evan was there. Evan was a little restless from this new experience. I had the hardest time falling asleep with the little monkey next to me. He even pulled a Piko move - when I left the bed to pee, he took my spot! And I had TWO snore-y monkeys to deal with! And this was pretty funny/cute - Evan talks in his sleep. And now that he has such a good vocabulary, it's funny to hear what he has to say. At one point he said, "I have chocolate cookies. That would be crazy!"

He had a hard time dealing with being back in his bed last night, but we got through it. Kind of unreal, but we haven't set up a night light for Evan. But he continues to talk about the tiger, so in the middle of the night last night I put in a night light - Thanks Aunty Kay for sending one! He seems very content to have the extra light. We shall see how tonight goes.

I try to acknowledge his fears, but I don't want to get too carried away with them either, and make him MORE afraid of things. So we're trying to find a good balance. I tell him that it's a pretend dream and it's not real. But I also go with him to check for tigers in his bed and name all his stuffed animal friends that are really there.

No comments: