Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Latest on the Lil' Girl

Saw our OB today for our 33-week check-up. Lil' Babe is measuring a little small from just my belly. We go for an ultrasound next week to take measurements and check growth. We will learn from this ultrasound if Lil' Babe is in the range of "small, but still normal" or "small and we need to monitor her growth." We had to do this second scenario with Evan, you might recall. We learned around now that I had a "funky" placenta (not sure if that's the technical medical term, but that's what the dr's all called it) so basically he and I were fighting over nutrients. I had to eat and immediately rest after, so that we wouldn't compete for food. Pops fondly remembers me eating these 40 g protein bars, washing it down with milk, and then heading to bed for the night. I am not looking forward to eating those bars again, but you gotta do what you gotta do. :)

So what does this all mean: We won't know anything until next week after the ultrasound. Best case scenario - Lil' Babe is small, but normal (me and Pops are not the biggest people, so it's not surprising that our little one is smaller than average.) Worst case scenario - we'll have to go back every week for an ultrasound to monitor growth, like we did with Evan. As we get closer to our due date, we can determine if she needs to be induced early or not. Mostly likely NOT to happen - they induce in the next few weeks - phew!

An interesting thing I learned today. Doctors feel more comfortable inducing early if the baby is smaller than average, rather than bigger than average. I always thought that if the baby is growing really big, they would induce, but he said they are more comfortable letting a bigger baby stay in their mom past their due date than a smaller baby. But I guess when you think about it, if the babe isn't growing like it should inside, there must be a reason for this and perhaps coming out earlier will give him/her the medical attention he/she needs.

If all is good in the mother-hood, I've requested that I be induced at 39 or 40 weeks. Also, something I didn't know I could do. With Evan's personality, I think it would be so much easier on the little man to know on this day, Momma is going to go to the hospital to have Lil' Babe. He is not one of those kids who would do well with a middle of the night jaunt to Grandma's while we rush off to the hospital. So knowing this is an option, I'm having a little less anxiety.

On another note, if anyone has maternity support hose I could borrow, please let me know. :) Thanks!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds like a stressful time Emily. We'll keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers as you learn more about Lil' Babe. Can't wait to meet her!