Saturday, June 14, 2008

Phasing Out Rewards

We have been successful with Evan's potty training. Now, we are trying to phase out his rewards. I tell him over and over again that he doesn't need a chocolate cause he's sooo good at using the potty. He thinks otherwise.

After his first success with number 2, I was so overjoyed, I let him have both his special toy - Bob the Builder Car Wash - as well as a chocolate. After he started going regularly on the potty, I told him he has to choose one reward - he can't have both anymore. Surprisingly, he always chooses the chocolate.

We got some small foil-wrapped chocolates (in the shape of sports balls: soccer, tennis, baseball, football, etc.) from Boehm's that we use for his treat. This can get expensive, so I told him he could only have one ball a day. If he goes more than once a day (which he does, sometimes even 3 or 4 times... ouch!) he has to get the less expensive Hershey Kiss. :)

I'm also trying to get the idea of the reward out of his head. After I go, Evan tells me, "Now you can have a chocolate or play with Bob the Builder dark car wash toy!" I reply, "Momma doesn't need a special treat for going to the potty. It's just something I do. Just like Evan!" But he still insists on getting his treat.

So yesterday I told him about a new rule (going into effect today.) He can have a treat IF he does the whole toileting experience by himself: set up potty, undress, do his thing, WIPE (I think this will be a major hang up for now), flush, wash hands and get dressed. I usually wipe him up and after it's clean, have him practice wiping. He doesn't enjoy it, but he'll have to do it at school. We shall see how today goes.

BTW, countdown to school: 2 days! Countdown to Lil' Babe: About 6 weeks!

No comments: