Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lil' Babe Name Update

As my birthday looms, Pops has asked for an extension on the baby name deadline. Granted.

I will say this: we have agreed on her first name and Japanese name (and last name - ha!) I'm just glad we have the first name done! That was probably the roughest. Now on our to-do: Hawaiian name and Chinese name. We are "working" on the Chinese name with a close friend who is giving us some great insights. For instance: it is not considered an honor in the Chinese culture to give the same or even similar sounding name of a family member to a baby. It is considered disrespectful and/or bad luck. Good to know! Thanks Jess!!!!

And as far as Hawaiian names go - another hard one. I've resorted to looking up a list of names and meanings on wikipedia - love the wikipedia. Then, I'll be consulting with my friend, Lono, to make sure we have an accurate translation and we're not missing an okina or kahako somewhere. (Expect an email soon, Lono!) Especially hard when Pops attended a private school that required Hawaiian blood to attend and everyone had a Hawaiian name... so he can't help but think of people he knew from school when I'm throwing out names for him to consider.

One thing he wanted me to clarify... Even after we've decided on Lil' Babe's name, we won't be telling anyone until after the birth. Sorry to get your hopes up.

No comments: